StartUp Kitchen is an exciting new project to provide a start-up food entrepreneur an opportunity to partner with a local restaurant to temporarily operate their food concept in a restaurant setting without the risk and investment normally required.
Through a competitive process modeled on the Kauffman Foundation’s StartUp Weekend, food entrepreneurs will be given the opportunity to present their concepts before a panel of food industry veterans who will critique their business plans, offer constructive advice, ask probing questions, and review the general soundness of the concepts. The selected winner of the competition will be given access to an existing restaurant during its off hours and afforded all the marketing support of Think Local First DC.
June 5 - Call for applications
June 20 - Deadline for applications
June 20-22 - Host Review
June 22-27 - Panel Review
July 3 - Finalists announced
July 5-15 - Finalists preparation time for Shark Tank
July 17 - Chopping Block Presentations @ Domku
July 20 - StartUpKitchen Launch Party @Domku
September 3-October 14 - StartUp Kitchen Incubation
September 17-October 14 - StartUp Kitchen Restaurant
• Applicant must have a completed business plan
• Applicant must have a federal tax ID
• Applicant must be a DC resident
• Applicant must have a workable concept
• Applicant must be able to meet the fee requirements
Benefits for the Food Entrepreneur:
• Invaluable mentorship from a panel of industry veterans.
• Low-risk, low-investment opportunity to test their concept
• Generating early buzz around their concept
• Opportunity to test recipes in a commercial kitchen
• Opportunity to serve a large number of guests and obtain feedback from the public
• Building a following for the future
Interested in taking part? Applications are due by June 20!
Also be sure to keep up with us on Facebook and Twitter!